Tuesday, September 13, 2016

A World Where Youth Hold the Power


Image result for youth in action


I consider myself as having a pretty average school experience within my youth. My school years were pretty normal.I had small group of great friends an awesome dance team and,a loving family that supported me in all of my endeavors.My sister on the other hand, a mere 6 and a half years younger than me, had a much different experience. I watch my sister, still currently in high school, with the most outgoing personality struggle with voicing her freedom of expression.


My sister's first day of high school.

Youth in Action, is a non profit, after school based program that allows youth members to run the organization itself. They promote their youth to use their own voices within  communities. Youth in Action is working towards breaking the stigma that teens should not be heard. In YIA, youth members are viewed as members of the community who can offer great ideas and opinions to work towards bettering Providence.


Graduation :)


In the article, A World Where Youth Hold the Power, Adeola Oredola spoke of her own stories and reasons to get involved within the community. She shares her story of her perseverance into getting the prestigious Brown University, after her guidance counselor told her she would never get accepted due to the high school she came from. As a Brown University student, she quickly realized she wanted to become the voice for future youth and make changes for underprivileged students who were not able to voice their opinions.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Jena,

    I loved that you compared the article to not only your own experience but also your younger sisters. It is important for students to be able to voice their opinions. What are some reasons for your sister having a hard time voicing hers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jena,

    Thank you for sharing about your sister. I truly hope that she is given the chance to become that student who stands up for what she believes in. I too liked the story about Adeola, because she dug deeper into going for what she wanted to do with her life, and didn't want to become the person who worked hard to get where she was. She saw more than that, and I admired that.

    ReplyDelete