Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Nakkula and Toshalis

The Construction of Adolescence by Nakkula and Toshalis explored the relationships between youth and the adult\s who impact their lives, particularly those who are educators. Ten vocabulary words from the text are inter-psychological development, co-constructing, zone of proximal development, applied develop-mentalists, scaffolding, theoretical imagination, multi authored, and reciprocal co-authorship.


Throughout my life there has been so many people who have influenced my youth both positively and negatively. Here is a list of 10 individuals who have coauthored with me during my life:

1. Natalie
2. Mom
3. Megan
4. Demi Lovato
5. Michelle
6. Nana
7. Mrs. Graziano
8. Miss. Jo-Ann
9. Dad
10. Grammy 

Although its hard to simply focus on just one individual who has helped co-author my youth I am choosing to write about Demi Lovato. As a young, impressionable girl I found myself idolizing Disney Channel star, Demi Lovato. As I got older she became one of the constant individuals within not only my life but some of my closest friends. In 2010, Demi entered treatment for depression, anxiety, and self harm. After months of rehab, she came out stronger than ever speaking out on her life long battle with mental illness. Since then, she has become a huge mental health advocate. 

Ever since I can remember, I have dealt with severe anxiety. I always thought what I was feeling was "normal."  During high school it became much severe. With the help of Demi Lovato, I became much more comfortable speaking to friends and family about my anxiety. She also showed me how important it is to receive help. She has showed me that living a successful life is absolutely possible living with a mental illness. 



3 comments:

  1. Hey Jena,
    Thank you for sharing about how Demi inspired you. I am glad you are now able to advocate about a mental illness to friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jena,
    I really enjoyed your blog post! I especially liked the fact that choose Demi as your main co-author for this post. I think that it was such a unique selection and it made question who besides my immediate family and friends has had such influence in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jena,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post this week. I think that it's great that you chose to focus on Demi Lovato, considering the similarities between the two of you. I'm glad that Demi has been able to be an inspiration to you in your life's struggles. It was great to hear your story.

    Ryan Ross

    ReplyDelete